Things have been progressing steadily, though not without hitches. The rebar guys finished all they could, but needed the trench drains before they could proceed any further. The trench drains finally arrived and are currently being installed. Once they are installed, the rest of the rebar can be installed and we can request an inspection. Assuming the inspection passes we are ready to pour concrete! Unfortunately, due to the holidays, this will have to happen after Christmas. With all the stresses of the holidays, and this project I have to keep reminding myself, I can only control what I can control ie don’t stress about delays that I cannot do anything about.
I’d like to talk a little bit about the trench drains. We decided to go with a composite for the trench drains. The other option was all stainless steel. Ideally we would have liked to have had all stainless drains, but they cost a fortune. Going with the composite drains was a cost reduction decision. The only thing we have to be careful of is putting down the drains anything that is too hot. Shouldn’t be a problem, just something we have to keep in the back of our minds.
The other major thing going on is that we want to have our gas meter upgraded to a high pressure meter. We technically don’t have to upgrade, but by upgrading we will save a lot of money on process piping. I had it scheduled for today, but had to cancel yesterday after I was informed at the last minute that we needed to have step down regulators installed on all our appliances prior to installation of the new meter. I contacted our general contractor to get in touch with our plumber and have them installed but looks like they won’t be installed until next week.
The last thing of note that happened this week was that we had to introduce ourselves to our neighbors. Normally I enjoy a good neighborly relationship, but unfortunately this one got off to the wrong foot. One of the big rigs that belongs to the tenant behind us backed up into our fence a few weeks ago and busted up a retaining wall pretty good. It’s not the end of the world and we were hoping that it wouldn’t affect our project, but we are pouring a slab back there for our glycol unit and it needed to be repaired after all. I went down there and introduced myself. He took it well and don’t think that there will be any lingering ill will between us. In fact it was fixed just a couple of days later.
Next week there is not a lot going on with the project due to the holiday, but we will have a guest blogger introduce himself: our brewmaster Craig.